10 GREEN FLAGS TO LOOK FOR WHEN DATING - SIGNS YOU'VE FOUND A KEEPER ✅ ❤️
Recognizing Green Flags: Positive Signs When Meeting a Potential Partner
When it comes to dating, so much attention is given to red flags — warning signs that tell us that we may have met someone NOT good for us or that there may be potential issues in a relationship.
However, it's equally important to recognize the positive signals that suggest you've found someone that could be a really good and healthy match for you.
In this blog, I wanted to explore the concept of "green flags" — those encouraging signs that can help you identify a promising connection from the very beginning of meeting someone new.
10 Signs That You May Have Met a ‘Keeper’
1. Open Communication: One of the first green flags is an ability to communicate openly and honestly. A potential partner who is willing to share their thoughts, feelings, and aspirations is a true sign of an ability to trust and be transparent. Someone who is able to listen and is interested in what you have to say, your thoughts, dreams and goals, is another great quality to notice.
2. Respect for Boundaries: Healthy boundaries are a set of standards by which you treat yourself and others and you require the same treatment back from others in your life. Healthy relationships are built on mutual respect for each other's boundaries. If a date or potential partner demonstrates an understanding of personal space and consent, it's a strong indicator of a considerate and mindful person. If they have good boundaries and respect for themselves, this is also a sign that they will treat you with the same standards.
“A healthy relationship will never require you to sacrifice your friends, your dreams, or your dignity”. Dinkar Kalotra
3. Supportive Nature: A person who genuinely supports your goals, dreams, and personal growth is a valuable find. Look for someone who encourages you to pursue your passions and celebrates your achievements. A relationship should always build you up rather than knock you down!
4. Shared Values: Common values and beliefs form a solid foundation for a lasting relationship. Signs that you’re on the same wavelength in this area include being in alignment on important aspects such as family, lifestyle, and core values. This is an indicator of compatibility because the things that are important to you are also important to your potential partner.
5. Emotional Intelligence: An emotionally intelligent partner is adept at recognizing and managing their own emotions while empathizing with yours. Someone who communicates effectively during both highs and lows is likely to navigate relationship challenges with maturity and deal with any conflict in a way that makes both partners feel safe.
“We can improve our relationships with others by leaps and bounds if we become encouragers instead of critics.” –Joyce Meyer
6. Kindness and Empathy: Acts of kindness and genuine empathy are crucial green flags. A partner who shows compassion toward others, whether it's strangers, friends, or family, is likely to bring warmth and understanding to the relationship. If you’re dating someone watch out for how they treat people (waiters, bar staff, strangers, taxi drivers etc) and how they talk about others too! 7. Positive Conflict Resolution: Disagreements are inevitable, but how they're handled is key. A potential partner who approaches conflicts with a desire for resolution, compromise, and understanding demonstrates a commitment to the health of the relationship.
“Let’s not forget it’s you and me vs. the problem. Not you vs. me.” - Steve Maraboli
8. Shared Interests and Hobbies: Whilst opposites can often attract as they say and if a potential partner has different interests and hobbies to you this can also be an enriching experience. But some shared interests and hobbies can strengthen the bond between you both too. Look for someone with whom you can enjoy common activities which allows for a deeper connection and shared experiences too.
9. Reliability and Consistency: Reliability is a green flag that speaks volumes. Look for a partner who follows through on commitments, keeps promises, and demonstrates consistency in their actions. Someone who is true to their word and does what they say they are going to do will give you the confidence that you can trust and depend on them, on the daily but also when inevitable life challenges happen.
“A healthy relationship keeps the doors and windows wide open. Plenty of air is circulating and no one feels trapped. Relationships thrive in this environment. Keep your doors and windows open. If the person is meant to be in your life, all the open doors and windows in the world, will not make them leave. Trust the truth. “ - Unknown
10. Mutual Growth and Independence: A healthy relationship allows for both individual growth and shared experiences. Someone who encourages your personal development while expressing a desire for mutual growth is likely to help you both to grow and nurture the relationship at the same time! Each partner should feel free to be themselves and to spend time with and without their partner, without any pressure to be together all the time!
Awareness Leads to Better Choices
When meeting new people &/or when dating, keep your eyes peeled for these positive qualities. While red flags can show us what we really DON”T want, green flags are great signals that someone could be your ‘person’. By looking out for and noticing these attributes, you can approach dating with a clearer understanding of what you require and expect from a partner, in order to assess if they’re right for you and your ideal loving future relationship!